About Museum Bank Indonesia
Occupying a historical building which was previously used as De Javasche Bank Office, Museum Bank Indonesia is located in the area of Jakarta Old Town, which was in the 16th era known as Batavia. Prior to become De Javasche Bank Office established in 1828, this building had been a hospital during the Dutch occupation, namely Binnenhospital, a hospital inside the fortress. This building underwent 5 times of renovation along with the business development of De Javasche Bank, starting from 1910 and the last renovation took place in 1932. After this renovation, there was no more renovation taking place except preserving of the building. The building was built with the Neoclassical architectural style by an Architect Bureau namely, Ed Cuypers en Hulswit from the Netherlands.
With its beautiful and magnificent building, this building now has become Museum Bank Indonesia displaying the history of Bank Indonesia, its policies issues from time to time and the history of money. The exhibition is designed with a mixture of art and technology. Since its opening, Museum Bank Indonesia has caught the interest of the public. Museum Bank was firstly opened for public in December 2006, and was inaugurated by the Governor of Bank Indonesia, Burhanuddin Abdullah. Furthermore, Museum Bank Indonesia was developed by displaying more collections and more facilities for benefits of the public. The development of Museum Bank Indonesia continued and completed in 2009, and the inauguration took place in July 2009 by the President of the Republic of Indonesia, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.